Sunday, September 29, 2013

FALL WEATHER JUST BEAUTIFUL

 The weather has finally started to cool down a bit, at least in the mornings.  Seeds are sprouting, beans, broccoli and cauliflower are growing nicely.  Sugar Snap peas have started to come up also.

I harvested a nice amount of hot peppers and there are plenty left on the plant for next week.
 I trimmed back the basil plants and will dry them out and store for use all winter.

 The winter spaghetti squash is really taking over the raised bed.  There's actually another squash plant behind and now under this one to the left.
Hopefully, it won't shade the cauliflower and beans too much..
I have had a serious Caterpillar problem in both areas.  So far,  I have sprayed SAFE Caterpillar killer and SEVEN insecticide with no luck.  I finally resorted today to SEVEN dust.  It seemed to work as I watched the little critters curl up and die.... thank goodness.
  I am not wild about using insectides and try to stay as organic as possible, but sometimes, that is just not enough.  It's early enough in the growing season where I think it's safe and won't affect the fruit.
 As I stated earlier, seed sprouts are coming up almost every where I planted seeds.
I threw in 3 or 4 different varieties of lettuce seeds and as you can see to the left.. success!

Even though I'm not sure what type of lettuce this is, it doesn't matter....
 Radishes are forming but are not as healthy as my crop earlier this year.  Like I said, bug problems have been keeping me hopping.  Trying to stay on top of the problem is very time consuming and even more frustrating.








No comments:

Post a Comment