Saturday, March 15, 2014

Spring Garden Update 3/14/14

Romaine Lettuce, Carrots, Green Onions

Potatoes in pots
 We are anxiously awaiting the warmer weather to come to North Florida.  Our last frost date is March 22 and it can't get here soon enough for me.

I have many things thriving in the raised beds that are frost tolerant thank goodness as we just had a light frost a few nights ago.

The potatoes in pots were a bit damaged from the hard frost we had a few weeks ago but seem to have recovered and are growing nicely.

The onions, shallots and garlic are really taking off and I am hoping for a big harvest.  I had a bunch of onion sets left over so I decided to plant them as they were sprouting in the bags.  I will have lots of onions hopefully!



The green house turned out to be the best investment of all!  I am so pleased with how the seedlings are doing, even with the cold weather we've had.  On the cold nights, I put a drop light in it and it keeps it toasty warm, the plants just love it.





Shallots
 So far I have tomatoes, cucumbers, sunflowers, peppers, eggplant, zuchinni, zinnea, nastursiams, and more growing from seed in the green house.  The soil temperature must be at least 60 degrees or higher for these.  When I checked the soil temperature this morning, it was barely 52.  We need warmer days to heat the soil before any of these can go in the ground.  I am hoping by March 22nd, I can start transplanting.. Yay!!

Happy Spring Gardening!!!

Mary

se
Green House Seedlings

Tomatoes Etc.

Cucumbers


Sunflower


No comments:

Post a Comment