Friday, February 21, 2014

WARMTH IS COMING - ONIONS, POTATOES, AND MORE

Garlic coming up

RED ONION

RADISHES
 I took a few photos today while the sun was shining and so pretty outside.  Still a bit cold to really start planting anything else outside.
The garlic to the left is coming up really well.
CARROTS GROWING IN LARGE POT

SHALLOTS
I also read that Garlic is a great insect repellent and will ward off many damaging bugs.  The rabbits are not fond of it either.
SWEET ONIONS

LOOKING GOOD

RED POTATOES SPROUTING

SUGAR SNAP PEAS

KALE just for Janelle


The same applies for any onions also.  They are great for keeping pest away.  These Red Onions are looking good and growing so fast!!



I planted radishes again, not as many as last year but we aren't that fond of them so this square should be plenty.  They are so prolific and are great in salads for sure!





I harvested a few carrots that were planted late last year.  I never thinned out a few of the squares so a lot of the carrots were deformed or very small. Still, I harvested enough to add to my beef stew.... yummy!




I've never tried growing shallots before, so far what I've planted are coming up beautifully.  Shallots are similar to onions but very mild.  Great for cooking with different types of veggies, especially green beans.




The sweet onions are slow growing so far, not nearly as tall as the others.







There are also red potato seeds in the raised bed to the left.  sprouts are already starting to appear.  Actually, I also have five pots with potatoes starting to sprout.  This is very exciting to me!!!




The sugar snap peas I planted late last year are finally starting to develop.  I'm hoping they produce this time around and are getting the necessary sun.  They were on the right side of the bed where I doubt it got 6 hours of sunlight.
That could be what the problem was with these plants last time.





I'm learning that any type of lettuce takes patience and time as they are very slow growing.  The kale is coming up but the lettuce is barely showing yet.






No comments:

Post a Comment