Friday, August 16, 2013

GARDEN UPDATE - AUGUST 16TH 2013

RED HOT CHERRY PEPPER
 It's been a few weeks since I've posted any updates mostly because not much has been happening in the garden.

I finally pulled up the rest of the green onions, the cucumbers that weren't growing and the dead squash plants.  I still have 5 or 6 potted tomato plants that are finished and need to be pulled also.

I planted two types of stringless pole beans, Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake.  These both germinated within a few days!  I'm hoping they totally take over both arbors in the back of the raised beds.  I also planted some Kentucky    
 Wonder seeds in a pot with a tomato cage, we'll
 see how they do there.  Looking forward to having fresh green beans as the bush variety really didn't produce but one harvest this year.

In the raised beds where the melons were, I planted corn.  A Sweet Corn Bi-Licious hybrid variety and a Silver Queen, Hybrid.   Most all of the Bi-Licious seeds have sprouted but the others are slow to come up.  I may have planted them a bit deeper, hope that's the issue anyway.  I am going to leave them be and let nature take over.  I think they are planted close enough for good pollination and the area is pretty open for 
BEAN SPROUTS
 the summer breeze to do it's job.  Nothing would
make me prouder than serving my family fresh corn from my garden!  :)

I finally harvested a bunch of cow horn peppers and fried them up with some olive oil and garlic.  They were extremely HOT!  Yes, I was very pleased!!  I think they are my most favorite!!

I've been picking some Roma tomatoes but the Leaf Hopper is still living in the garden, doing it's damage and I have to say, it kind of makes me squeamish to eat anything those bugs have been sucking on.... really bothers me!  crazy right? 
EGGPLANT

 Same thing with the Lemon Boys and Sun Sugars,
 although the Lemon Boys have started to liquefy on the vine and fall off... that's a new one!  If anyone has answers as to why that is happening, I would love to hear about it.

That's about it for today folks, I'm hoping the rain holds up at least long enough for me to do some clean up this weekend....Lot's to do in the garden.

Happy Gardening!

Mary
MORE BEAN SPROUTS

JASMINE ON ARBOR NEEDS SOME ATTENTION


KENTUCKY WONDER BEANS


SPROUTS - THINK IT'S CAULIFLOWER

CORN!

CORN

No comments:

Post a Comment